Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No Tube

Mom struggled with the decision of a feeding tube for Dad. He is totally unable to swallow. Mom didn't want him to suffer from hunger pains. The nurses gave her and my sisters info pro and con, and Mom talked with the Doctor and my brothers. The Dr said patients like my Dad feel no pain from hunger and we have no guarantee that he will live even one day longer with a feeding tube; especially with the kidneys shutting down. And Dad doesn't like things stuck in him and pulls them out.

When Mom went home last night she spent a long time in prayer about it and asked for a sign. This morning, Dad was able to carry on a understandable discussion. At one point he told my sister, Becky, to look in the corner and asked if she saw them. Who? There was no one visible. Dad, said, again, look, there is my Mother and Sister.

The hospital staff are doing all they can to keep comfortable. It just a matter of time.

7 comments:

HennHouse said...

I love you, Mom.

Melissa Blair said...

Hang in there Susie...We are here for you if you need us.

Kristen said...

I Love You too, Mom! Call me if you need to!

-Kr

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of prayers up for you and your family.
~Alison

Unknown said...

prayers sent!! and hugs for you :)

Sam said...

Love you, Mom.

Kimmy said...

I am praying for you and your family right now, and will continue to do so. I, unfortunately know first hand how hard it is to lose a parent. It is life-altering and extremely painful.

Take strength from God and those around you who love you.

Please know that my prayers are with you!